Spouse Barb, 2 children, 2 grandchildren.
former business owner, insurance agent, and former county commissioner
BS, Agricultural Business Administration, University of Minnesota.
Special legislative concerns
Budget, taxes, jobs, economic development.
2015 – 2016 Committees
- E12 Education Policy Committee
- E12 Education Finance Committee
- Jobs, Agriculture, and Rural Development
- Ranking Minority Member
- State Departments and Veterans Committee
- Republican Rural Caucus
- Past Caucus co-chair
- Assistant Minority Leader
- Republican Senate Caucus
- Legislative Study Group on Educator Licensure
- Legislative Coordinating Commission (LCC)
- LCC Committee on Employee Relations
- Legislative Citizens Commission on Minnesota Resources (LCCMR)
- Legislative Water Commission
Boards and Councils
- Council of State Governments (CSG)
- Economic Development Committee
- National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL)
- Natural Resources and Infrastructure Committee
- Minnesota Agriculture Education Leadership Council (MAELC)
- Minnesota Indian Affairs Council
- Unemployment Insurance Advisory Council
I was born and raised in Clements, Minnesota and graduated from Redwood Falls High School. I attended the University of Minnesota where I earned a bachelor’s degree in agricultural business administration. I am also a graduate of the Blandin Community Leadership Program.
I owned and operated Dahms Insurance Agency for 25 years. I turned my appreciation for my community into a lifelong dedication of service and volunteerism. As President of the Redwood Area Education Foundation, I was responsible for a fundraising campaign to re-establish agricultural education in the Redwood Area Schools and continue to support the program through my leadership in the Future Farmers of America (FFA) Alumni Association.
My broad base of experience is evidenced by my service on many boards:
Redwood County Board of Commissioners
Redwood Area Education Foundation
Redwood County Agricultural Society
Redwood Area FFA Alumni Association
Redwood County Extension Committee
Redwood Area Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Board
Redwood Area Development Corporation
Redwood County Economic Development Association
Redwood County Soil and Water Conservation District
Southwest Minnesota Regional Development Commission
Minnesota Valley Rail Authority
Service Enterprises Inc.
Redwood/Renville Health Services Board
Agricultural Utilization Research Institute (AURI)
I live in Redwood Falls with my wife of 41 years, Barb. We have two grown children, Michelle and Michael; and two grandchildren. We are also active members of the First United Methodist Church in Redwood Falls.