Spouse Barb, 2 children, 2 grandchildren.
f\Former business owner, insurance agent, and former county commissioner.
BS, Agricultural Business Administration, University of Minnesota.
Special legislative concerns
Budget, taxes, jobs, economic development.
- Commerce and Consumer Protection, Chair
- E12 Education Policy Committee, Vice-Chair
- E12 Education Finance Committee, Vice-Chair
- Agriculture, Rural Development and Housing Policy
- Capital Investment (Bonding) Committee
- Republican Rural Caucus
- Past Caucus co-chair
- Assistant Majority Leader
- Republican Senate Caucus
- Rules and Administration Committee
- 2019 University of Minnesota – College of Food, Agriculture, and National Resource Sciences (CFANS), Distinguished Alumni
- 2019 Minnesota School Board Association (MSBA), Legislator of Distinction
- 2019, 2018 League of Minnesota Cities, Legislator of Distinction
- 2019, 2018 Minnesota Federation of County Fairs (MFCF), Friend of County Fairs
- 2019, 2016 National Federation of IndependentBusinesses (NFIB), Guardian of Small Businesses
- 2018 Minnesota Licenced Beverage Association (MLBA), Elected Official of the Year
- 2018 Manufactured and Modular Housing Association of Minnesota (MMHA), Friend of Affordable Housing
- 2017 National FFA Association, Honorary American FFA Degree
- 2016 Minnesota Association of Agriculture Educators (MAAE), Bellringer Award
- 2016 Alpha Gamma Rho – Lambda Chapter, Man of the Year
- 2015 Minnesota FFA Association, Hall of Fame
- 2013 Minnesota FFA Association, Honorary State FFA Degree
I was born and raised in Clements, Minnesota and graduated from Redwood Falls High School. I attended the University of Minnesota where I earned a bachelor’s degree in agricultural business administration. I am also a graduate of the Blandin Community Leadership Program.
I owned and operated Dahms Insurance Agency for 25 years. I turned my appreciation for my community into a lifelong dedication of service and volunteerism. As President of the Redwood Area Education Foundation, I was responsible for a fundraising campaign to re-establish agricultural education in the Redwood Area Schools and continue to support the program through my leadership in the Future Farmers of America (FFA) Alumni Association.
My broad base of experience is evidenced by my service on many boards:
- Redwood County Board of Commissioners
- Redwood Area Education Foundation
- Redwood County Agricultural Society
- Redwood Area FFA Alumni Association
- Redwood County Extension Committee
- Redwood Area Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Board
- Redwood Area Development Corporation
- Redwood County Economic Development Association
- Redwood County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Southwest Minnesota Regional Development Commission
- Minnesota Valley Rail Authority
- Service Enterprises Inc.
- Redwood/Renville Health Services Board
- Agricultural Utilization Research Institute (AURI)
- Legislative Coordinating Commission (LCC)
- Legislative Citizens Commission on Minnesota Resources (LCCMR)
Boards and Councils
- Council of State Governments (CSG)
- Economic Development Committee
- National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL)
- Natural Resources and Infrastructure Committee
- Minnesota Agriculture Education Leadership Council (MAELC)
- Minnesota Indian Affairs Council
- National Council of Insurance Legislators (NCOIL)
- Executive Committee
- Life Insurance and Financial Planning Committee
- Property and Casualty Committee
I live in Redwood Falls with my wife of 46 years, Barb. We have two grown children, Michelle and Michael; and two grandchildren. We are also active members of the First United Methodist Church in Redwood Falls.